“Enjoy the little things, for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things." Robert Brault


Monday, January 10, 2011

Seven Years and Four Left Feet

When you dance, your purpose is not to get to a certain place on the floor. It's to enjoy each step along the way.Wayne Dyer

Today, Eric and I have been married seven years, and including our time dating, we've been together for ten years. That's an entire decade! Our sweet Madelyn joined us this last year, and I must say, it has been the best year of our marriage and the hardest.

It has been the best because I have seen a whole new side of Eric. I have watched Eric grow from an uncertain, inexperienced dad to a confident, knowledgeable dad. There has been so much I have loved about watching Eric as a dad, but to just name a few: I love how Madelyn smiles so big at him when he gets home from work; I love how he is the one to give her a bath each night; I love how he fights with me to be the one who gets her up from her naps; I love his willingness to give up so much, so I can stay home with her; I love that he goes to her doctor's appointments with me; and I especially love that she is daddy's little girl. It really has been a true joy watching him with her these last six months.

It also has been the hardest because, plain and simple, having a baby is hard! I know that we argued more those first four months after Madelyn than the combined six years before her. We are both learning and growing as parents; we have never done this before. We are tired most nights and don't have much "us" time anymore, but through it all, our relationship has become stronger and it has only made me love him even more. I am so blessed to have such an amazing husband.

I am not sure how it really started, but since the beginning of our marriage, dancing has always been something we have done together. Which is kind of ironic, if you know Eric or I, because we both are REALLY bad dancers. But our marriage is like our dancing. We don't dance for any reason except for the enjoyment of each others company. As cheesy as it sounds, my hope for our marriage is that we always dance. That we can always look each other in the eye and not feel uncomfortable as though we are strangers, and with the busyness of life and having a child, I hope we always continue to put our marriage first. I honestly couldn't have asked for a better man, husband, or baby daddy.

Happy Anniversary, Eric.  I love you! I look forward to a lifetime of dancing.

Taken at Karen's 30th birthday party,
pre-pregnancy, which feels like a
lifetime ago.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulation to both of you!

    People have commented to me about the way you two look at each other. I hope you always hold onto that. There's few things in life better than having a growing love for the one you're married to. It's worth the work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, guys! Enjoy your day. Have you heard the song 'Dancing in the Minefields' by Andrew Peterson? This post just made me think of it. So good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gs3fg_WsEg

    ReplyDelete