“Enjoy the little things, for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things." Robert Brault


Monday, April 30, 2012

Lessons from Parenthood – The Early Bird Gets the Workout

There are two things about me that are as true as death and taxes – I am not a morning person, and I am very active.

As a result, I have always maintained an exercise routine in the afternoon or evening, generally stopping by the gym on the way home from the office. The only time I developed a consistent exercise routine in the morning was when I had access to a free gym and physical trainer. The catch? I had to meet my boss for a 6:30 a.m. workout.

On one of these mornings, while I was complaining about how early it was, my boss said, “Just wait until you have kids, this will be the only free time you have.” I was determined that this wouldn’t be the case for me. Certainly I could find a way to stop by the gym after work a couple days each week.

In hindsight, it was wishful thinking - I have succumbed to the early morning exercise routine. My former boss was right; as a parent, sometimes the dawn hours are the only time available for a quick workout. And if I happen leave the office with time to spare I’d rather hurry home to give my little girl a goodnight kiss.


No comments:

Post a Comment